Who is ePACT?
ePACT Network is a rapidly growing technology start-up providing unique and innovative software that acts as ‘the safety net for your world’ – ensuring critical data and communications are always accessible for families, organization and communities anytime, anywhere.
ePACT offers families a single emergency record they can connect and securely share across their communities. Through our network, communities reduce risks, improve efficiencies, minimize environmental impacts, and enhance the safety and support needed in emergencies. It is our vision to be the Emergency Network “safety net” for every family, organization and community in future.
Why it’s a Great Place to Work
ePACT is an extremely collaborative, innovative and inclusive workplace, where every team member has a voice at the table and all backgrounds and skillsets are celebrated. Our team is made up of passionate ‘change-makers’, committed to making a true difference in the world through personal contributions and delivering outstanding solutions to our customers and users.
At ePACT, we work hard, but take time for team/office fun, whether playing a solid game of ping pong, VR, nerf guns, chair races or office frisbee. Located on the water in beautiful North Vancouver, steps from Lonsdale Quay and the Seabus, commutes are easy as we sit on picturesque parks and overlook mountains and sea. In-office cookouts via BBQ or InstantPot are common, but there’s lots of choice for food, pubs, or outings as well. As a bonus, we’re all pretty hilarious too, so a sense of humour is definitely desired – given even the office dogs are their own little jokers!
Beyond the lively work environment is an atmosphere where you can truly make a mark and grow. We want people who want to ‘own’ their roles, contributing their own brand of creativity, efficiencies, or unique skillsets to ensure ePACT continues to lead as the number one Emergency Network in the world. A few of our achievements include:
- Graduate of multiple tech programs including GrowLab, Canadian Technology Accelerator-San Francisco, Tech-Women and C100’s 48 Hrs in the Valley;
- Recipient of the prestigious Federal WINN Grant, multiple IRAP Grants, and Canadian Department of Defence Emergency Innovation Project;
- Winner of North Vancouver Chamber Business of the Year, BCTIA’s ConnectFX Best In Show, Canadian Financing Forum’s Investor’s Choice Award, Manning Innovation Award Nominee, and ‘Ready to Rocket’ ICT Winner, to name a few;
- Almost 1.5 Million family users in over 135 countries worldwide, and a customer base across North America
ePACT is searching for an Accountant-Controller to join the team. This critical role will report to and collaborate closely with ePACT’s COO & Co-Founder and will sit on the company’s management committee. You will be responsible for day-to-day financial management ,and will support the financial strategy for a growing and complex business. The perfect fit for this role is an experienced professional who has an entrepreneurial streak, is knowledgeable of best practices, and is interested to build and own key financial processes. We are growing rapidly and it is crucial that the teammate in this role is excited and enthusiastic about our mission!
Your Responsibilities Will Include
- Maintaining complete and accurate books and records, overseeing preparation of GAAP-compliant financial statements and supporting schedules
- Managing day-to-day operational accounting functions for the company, including AR/AP, revenue recognition, commissions, bank reconciliations, payroll, and month-end close
- Providing appropriate reporting for various stakeholders (e.g. management, Board of Directors, Investors, Financial Institutions)
- Providing decision support, reporting, and key SaaS operational metrics for the business, supporting both short and long term financial strategic planning processes and spend needs
- Improving upon accounting systems and internal control processes to enhance financial reporting and internal control environment
- Overseeing cash management through supervision of accounts receivable collections and coordination of cash disbursements
- Working with the COO to prepare and maintain financial models and pro-forma statements
- Managing financial reporting required for grant programs including IRAP and SRED
- Helping to identify and prepare grant applications for future grants
- Overseeing year-end external audit, GST/PST remittance, and other compliance requirements
Who You Are
- A clear and professional communicator, both verbally and in writing
- A strategic thinker, excited to take on challenges and personally contribute to the success and growth of your company
- A methodical, detail-oriented, analytical, and accurate problem solver
- Experienced working with external accounting and tax professionals
- Self-motivated when working independently or as part of a collaborative team, with a ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude
- Able to work on projects with tight timelines and a desire to ‘own’ your role
- Fun, with a good sense of humor (because the ePACT team all think we are hilarious!)
Required Skills & Experience
- A Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- 5+ years Accounting Experience
- Experience in a Controller or Assistant Controller position, or in public practice with exposure to the tech sector would be an asset
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canadian GAAP (US GAAP considered added asset);
- Experience in cash management and forecasting
- Experience with Xero, or other cloud-based accounting system
- Experience in a start-up/scale-up – particularly SaaS and/or venture-backed business an asset
- Experience with US Tax requirements an asset
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license considered significant asset.
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.